Conversations about Yoga... Ayurveda... Life!
Hi! We're Maria & Chara...
Modern yogis (and yoga teachers) with lots of questions about how to live, age, parent, and just be more vibrantly engaged in the process. Join us for conversations and interviews dedicated to uncovering what it takes to “grow up” in a way that feels balanced, authentic, graceful and juicy!
Episode 5: A chat with Deacon Carpenter - A Modern Ayurveda Story...
Chara has a conversation with a Deacon Carpenter a Clinical Ayurveda specialist, entrepreneur and author who’s road to becoming a modern healer has been anything but ordinary! From his awkward overweight beginnings as a teenage immigrant from the UK to the USA, to healing himself at an early age with the help of Ayurveda and yoga to a lifetime rollercoaster ride through the healthy and not so healthy worlds of fashion, media & advertising, technology, pharmaceuticals and the military industrial complex. He’s learned first hand the secret to what holds us together, tears us apart and ultimately heals the mind, body and soul… and it might not be what you think! Definitely have a listen!
Episode 4: Evolving your yoga as you "Grow Up"
J Brown Yoga Talks Podcast: J interviews Chara: https://www.jbrownyoga.
Episode 3: A simpler look at Ayurveda
Maria and Chara engage in a juicy conversation about Ayurveda, diving into the basics of what it REALLY is, what’s important to know about it, how to use it in your life and why you should. Chara talks about why Ayurveda is such an important tool for yoga teachers (or anyone who teaches anything) and shares her experiences with applying the ancient science of living in her yoga classes and in her life.
What every yoga teacher should know...
- First and foremost it's important to know YOUR intention as a teacher and how that intention aligns with your true nature (natural tendencies). Do you want to:
- Just practice yoga (and teaching keeps you doing that)
- Share what you know (about yourself and yoga)
- Support students in some way
- Transform students in some way
Whatever your intention it's vitally important to be honest with yourself about what it is, because it informs what and how you teach!
- Every student in your class needs something different
- The class you're teaching could just as easily be creating imbalance as contributing someone's state of balance.
Our role as teachers is to…
- Connect - Make the effort to understand who the people in your class are?
- Be aware - What imbalances are showing up in the space? What is the potential impact of the environment? What’s the potential impact of the practice?
- Inform - What is the process of knowing yourself, What are the signposts of self awareness, how much is too much?
- Empower - Invite your students to take flight, own their practice (without cutting them loose, which can be anxiety forming)
Episode 2: Tools for living
Chara and Maria talk about their “tools” for living a good life! Influenced by yoga, ayurveda and many bright and beautiful teachers, the two discuss the values and emotional qualities that have helped them navigte the bumps in the road to becoming their best selves.
Episode 1: Who we are and why we're doing this...
In this inaugural episode we talk about what brought us together and why we were compelled to do this podcast. What are the questions that infuence our daily experiences, what are the issues that we find ourselves trying to unravel and what we want to talk about and share with you on this glorious adventure.
You can find more information about Maria at: http://www.yogaforgrownups.com