Round about now, if you’re like anyone (or everyone) you’re thinking about the promises you’ll make to yourself and the many ways you’ll change your habits and behaviours in 2020.
…And then you’re wondering what you can actually commit to.
…And then you’re thinking what you’ll actually be able to stick to… And that’s when things might start to go a little pear shaped.
Not to worry… Ayurveda to the rescue! Let me explain.
Ayurveda is all about making healthy changes to your life and thinking. But it recognizes that hasty, all-encompassing, bet the farm kinda changes aren’t likely to be sustainable. SO… it supports the very simple idea of making small changes over time.
What I have come to call “Do One Thing”. Not five, not twenty. Do just one thing. Stick to it, notice what happens, make it a part of who you are (or drop it) and then… Do one new thing.
There’s a lifetime of lessons in just this simple task.
These days we are all multi-taskers to the max (or wanna be multi-taskers). So the idea of doing one just one thing, adding only one new thing and sticking to it long enough to feel it’s effects can be exciting, and then frustrating, and then enlightening and then liberating.
So with that as a caveat, here are 12 things to do in the New Year. Okay but you get that you’re not meant to do them all at once, right? The idea is to do one thing, just one thing…first.
- Enjoy meals in calm surroundings and really taste your food
- Follow your gut
- Experience an emotion and then let it go
- Lubricate (use oils on your skin, add healthy oils to your diet)
- Express yourself in a healthy way (don’t hold back)
- Practice Yoga
- Cook with love in your heart
- Observe the seasons (consciously change your food, clothes, and activities with each new season)
- Get enough sleep
- Feel the fear and do it anyway
- Stay sufficiently hydrated
- Get up early (before sunrise is the “magic time”)
- Tell yourself you’re worth it!
Oops! Did I say twelve? Well, I threw in a few more for good measure. But if none of these ideas resonate with you, do some soul searching and come up with your one thing… and then just do it!
Okay so you knew this was coming… You knew I would want to know… So tell me… What’s gonna be your first “One Thing”? Share in the comments below!